Why hardening of Soul is so grave?
- It takes of the softness, mercy and reverence of the heart, leaving the heart hard and is not affected by what happens around him in the society and no doubt that the society where people don’t care about each other is a corrupted society.
- Spreads hatred among people, disunites the community, and replaces the blessings with condemnations.
- People don’t like to deal with people with this heart disease so they leave him alone. Allah says:” So by mercy from Allah, [O Muhammad], you were lenient with them. And if you had been rude [in speech] and harsh in heart, they would have disbanded from about you. So pardon them and ask forgiveness for them and consult them in the matter. And when you have decided, then rely upon Allah. Indeed, Allah loves those who rely [upon Him].” [Aal Imran 159].
- Makes the person an easy prey for the shaitan. Allah says: “And We have already sent [messengers] to nations before you, [O Muhammad]; then We seized them with poverty and hardship that perhaps they might humble themselves [to Us]. Then why, when Our punishment came to them, did they not humble themselves? But their hearts became hardened, and Satan made attractive to them that which they were doing.” [Al An’am 42-43].
- Allah says: “So is one whose breast Allah has expanded to [accept] Islam and he is upon a light from his Lord [like one whose heart rejects it]? Then woe to those whose hearts are hardened against the remembrance of Allah. Those are in manifest error.” [Az Zumar 22].
- Hardening of the soul is the attribute of the disbelievers like the Jews and the Christians, Allah says: “Then your hearts became hardened after that, being like stones or even harder.” [Al Baqara 74].
Symptoms of hardening of the soul:
A person with this disease is
- Never affected when reading or hearing the Quran
- Not affected on remembering Allah
- Never praying with reverence
- Never caring about what is happening to the Muslim nations
- Not feeling pity on seeing the poor or needy
- Never feeling pity on hearing or seeing oppression that occurs to someone, not to mention oppress others
Reasons for hardening of the Soul:
- Loving Dunya and holding firm to it, focusing on the Dunya rather than focusing on death and on the Day of Judgment.
- Committing many sins.
- Abandoning reading Quran.
- Listening to music.
- When you don’t account yourself regularly. Believing that you have plenty of time.
- Doing anything without thinking whether it will please Allah or not. Like dealing with usury.
- Leaving your soul un-tamed. Leaving it with greed, envy, pride, arrogance, self-conceit and oppression.
- Speaking a lot without remembering Allah, Laughing a lot, eating and sleeping a lot.
- Bad company.
- Wasting time on un-important things.
To make your heart soften:
- Learn Islamic studies.
- Learn about the beautiful names of Allah.
- Remember Allah all the time.
- Say morning and evening supplications.
- Remember death and visiting the graves.
- Say the Duaa: “O Allah, I seek refuge in Thee from the evil of what I hear, from the evil of what I see, from the evil of what I speak, from the evil of what I think, and from the evil of my semen”
- Volunteer in charity work that includes showing kindness to orphans, poor and needy.
- Read Quran daily.
- Pray nafl prayer after each Prayer.
- Account yourself every day.
- Purify your soul from the disease of the soul.
- Sit with righteous company.
- Always do righteous deeds.
- Think before you do anything whether it will please Allah or not.
- Forgive others (see why muslim should forgive others?)
- Wish good for others.
- Be aware of Allah’s awareness.
- Make Doaa to others without their knowledge.
- Help others and caring about the surrounding people.
- Stay away from sins. And focusing on the Day of Judgement.